Thursday, March 22, 2012

Finding that perfect fit



It's hard to believe that a whole year has already passed by since I graduated from the IDEA (Illustration and Design: Elements & Applications) program at Capilano University. At first glance, it may seem that I didn't accomplish much in the last 12 months; but looking back at past posts, I can see that I have done a lot of growing. I managed to squeeze in nearly 3 months of "working vacation" in the Mediterranean after my grad show. I then endeavored to take on as many freelance projects as I could find, including web design, business card designs, fine art paintings, children's book illustrations, and (recently) corporate illustration work. I also tried an experimental internship as a graphic designer – which reaffirmed my conviction that I am built for a more hands–on approach to art and illustration.  

So here I sit, a year later, about to embark on another adventure. I was recently hired for an art instructor position. I'll be trained on all aspects of the studio curriculum, studio set up, art history training, and eventually leading up to curator training. 

So how has all of my schooling prepared me for this job? In some ways, I feel like this job is a culmination of all of my past experiences: my BA of Arts, my semester in the PDP program, and 3 years at IDEA. Not to mention the 7 years of working in the hospitality industry as a seasonal youth counselor for the cruise line company.  Now I feel I am finally ready to be out in the real world and not simply settling for sitting behind a desk... because let's face it,  I never thought I was the 9-5 office type anyways. I'd rather be out there, living and breathing art and getting my hands dirty! I can't wait to have splatter parties and teach kids about Jackson Pollock!

Some of the other perks? 
  • I get to wear jeans and sneakers to work every day! 
  • I don't have to worry about getting paint splattered all over me – cause that's actually part of the look!
  • I will be able to perfect my canvas stretching skills, refresh my pottery abilities, and teach kids 2-100 about art, artists, and artist grade materials.
  • I don't have to turn my back on all of my learning, and I can still do freelance work on the side!
I think I am in for one exciting ride!


No comments: