Tuesday, October 25, 2011

When it rains, it pours.... in a good way, like a summer storm :)

Some of the best (and scariest) advice I received in University was this: If possible, after graduating, move in with your parents (rent free) and pursue your dream. Don't get a back-up job because you'll come to rely on it. Become hungry for work.
At the time, I didn't want to believe that I would have to give up my perfect rental unit in North Vancouver. I didn't even want to think about getting work. So after a summer abroad (a well deserved break from the grueling 12 hour days spent in the studio), I tackled the classifieds, job listings, and worked on my promo mail outs... all with enough drive and thirst to dedicate two months to networking, making connections, contacting publishers etc. Now some people might say that all this time has been time wasted. But I disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm part of the generation that believes, period. I don't know exactly what it is that keeps us optimistic... even despite our debts (read- HUGE student loans), and the high cost of living, we're still out there following our dreams. So think of your "down time" as an investment, and then you might just get the phone call you're waiting for. Now it seems like every time my cell phone rings, it's about a prospective job!

No comments: